The first stage of any search engine marketing campaign, for SEO or for PPC, is effective and wide ranging keyword research. Everything you will do with a search engine will stem from this research. This keyword research process can be split into five main categories:
- What search terms you think are appropriate to your business
- What search terms your competitors are targeting
- What the market is actually searching for
- What the likely Cost benefit per term is likely to be
- Keyword Refinement
Over the next couple of days we will investigate each of these in more details. Todays SEM training will constitute on why you need to put so much effort into the early stage of your Pay Per Click marketing campaign.
PPC Keyword Research
Reason 1 – Why keyword research is important if you use an SEM agency to manage your campaign? If an agency is managing your current PPC campaign it is likely that you have agreed a target Cost Per Acquisition for your campaign. So that over the next month you achieve a level of sales at an average price. At key way points in your campaign you will analyze the performance of your campaign to ensure that your agency is meeting target – remember you will be paying anything between 5% and 20% for this service. The higher the level of commission that your agency is charging the higher the level of personal involvement your agency will have with your account, in general. Those charging the lowest levels of commission will have a higher level of automation within their processes that those charging higher commissions. You need to ensure whatever level of involvement your agency has that they are in control and are effectively managing your campaign. An effective campaign will have specific keyword groups and each group will be monitored individually. By understanding how to conduct effective keyword research you can ensure that your campaign is:
- Developing rather than stagnating – good agencies will keep finding you more and more terms and continue to increase your keyword pool rather than concentrating solely on brand terms to drive traffic
- Keep your agency on their toes – if an agency knows they are dealing with a client who knows their stuff they are far more likely to help you increase your understanding of their profession. By showing an interest and a knowledge in the processes your agency is using you will gain respect, better results and an improved working relationship with your agency.
- You will be able to measure the progress your agency is making in your campaign – i.e. are you paying too high a commission for an agency who continues to use the same set of keywords all the time when you can spot competitors leveraging market share
by expanding their bid words all the time.
Reason 2 – Why keyword research is important if you manage your own PPC campaign
- You need to keep refining and improving your campaign – it is your business no one else’s and to maximize the returns you need to make your campaign as exact, targeted and reflective of your products and to the needs of your consumer
- See gaps before your competitions
- Ensure your campaign is ready to make you money so as soon as new products are in stock they are online and easily found
Reason 3 – Why do I need to do keyword research if I am happy with my current PPC campaign? You can always do better – You can always make more money – You can always minimize the market share of competitors and extend your business and make is more stable in the long term
Tomorrow – why you need high quality keyword research for an effective Search Engine Optimization Campaign