Ok I am now running out of browser screen – its dying on me. All I have left is a narrow band of screen that displays very little and the rest of my screen has been usurped by Firefox toolbars and plugins. In an attempt to ween myself off these dainty, and ever breeding, Firefox plugins I’ve made a list of the ten that I use most often. These arent in any particular order.
- User Agent Switcher – Great for testing domains that you know are cloaked – so if your SEO company has fixed your website and for some reason you have no cached versions of pages better get yourself this and check that they are not spamming your sites with links to everyone on their network!
- Screengrab -Allows you to grab whole web pages – not just the visible section. Great during testing and for sending screen grabs to clients. Nice, elegant and simple solution.
- Netcraft Toolbar – good for safety online – the netcraft toolbar for firefox has some nice anti-phishing security. Put it on my Dads computer as he keeps clicking on links in emails that take him god knows where. Also has nice little geotargetting window – great for ensuring quickly that .com, .net, .biz sites etc are hosted in the correct location for their geotaregtting.
- ColorZilla – grab colors from websites in a flash. I aint a website designer – Colin says all my sites look the same. But grabbing colors quickly is useful even for rubbish web designers such as me. Works just like the color dropper thing in Fireworks and Photoshop.
- Search Status – Page Rank. Alexa Rank and Dmoz listings checked for every page you visit. First and Last are good Alexa rank is bit of waste of time but good none the less. Displays of Rank can be numerical or in little green fairydust bar, Alexa is a little blue fairydust bar.
- Live HTTP Headers – Great little tool for viewing HTTP headers as they come in – want to check if that redirect is a 301 or a 302, if that error page is returning a 404 header or which images/scripts you’ve left in your web code don’t exist. Just boot this little baby up and away you go.
- IE Switcher – Some people still build pages that I cant vies in Firefox something to do with IE using a box model and Firefox now (and yeah I have no idea WTF that means either) but can be a pain. Just clicking on little icon turns Firefox into IE display mode and I can see the pages again
- Groowe Toolbar – All your favourite search engines toolbars in one – unfortunately no Google PageRank but good none the less. MSN, Yahoo, Google all by one little drop down saving you untold screen real estate.
- Total Validator- HTML Code validation tool. Good for checking your html is correct and valid. And also for doing reports on code quality quickly. As it highlighs all the issues in one place and you dont even need to pay for it – and is far quicker than waiting on the W3 validator.+
If anyone has any other useful little Firefox plugins let us know.